fbpx

Bafang BBS02 vs BBSHD

This post contains affiliate links, to find out more information, please read my affiliate disclosure

I often get asked this question by customers wanting their bikes converted. Is the Bafang BBSHD worth the extra money or is the BBS02 reliable enough for the job?

At the bottom of this article are links on where to buy the Bafang BBS02 and BBSHD.

What is the difference between the BBS02 and BBSHD?

The BBS02 was first released in 2014, and at the time was one of the first plug-and-play mid-drive electric bike kits available. Unfortunately the ‘A’ version suffered from poor quality controller MOSFETs that could not deal with the higher current of the motor, and were very susceptible to overheating leading to a lot of premature failures.

bafang bbs02 750w motor

In 2015 Bafang upgraded the controller from six to nine generic MOSFETs to give it the ability to handle 50% more current, but unfortunately they still generated a lot of heat.

In 2016 the ‘B’ version was released. This (supposedly) had a better controller with higher quality ‘branded’ IRFB3077 FETs, which convert more of the input watts into power, and less of the input watts into waste-heat.

The BBSHD was introduced in 2016, and the main differences between the two motors is the HD is physically bigger and has external cooling fins (to help with heat dissipation). The Stator is 66% larger, and the controller has twelve IRFB3077 FET’s and can handle 30A of continuous current. Input voltage remains the same as for the BBS02.

bafang bbshd motor

What this translates to is the BBSHD will produce more torque, have better heat dissipation (and reliability?) and produce more peak power.

Bafang BBS02 vs BBSHD power comparison table

BafangBatteryPeak Power
BBS02 750w48v (54.4v) x 25A
1360w
BBS02 750w52v (58.8v) x 25A 1470w
BBSHD48v (54.4v) x 30A
1632w
BBSHD52v (58.8v) x 30A1764w
The voltage figures in brackets are for a fully-charged battery. Note: As the voltage drops, so will the power.

As you can see from the table above there is only 294 watts difference between the BBS02 750w and BBSHD (if a 52v battery is used) – the big difference in the feel of the HD is the amount of torque it produces. This is up to 160N.m against 120N.m for the 750w.

The bigger motor spins faster – 130-150 rpm (120 rpm for the 750w) and has a reduction ratio of 1:21.9

bafang bbshd specification sheet

So what does this all mean?

Put simply the BBSHD is more robust than the BBS02,  produces more power, but most importantly more torque and much better heat dissipation. Incidentally the ‘HD’ stands for ‘heavy duty’.

The HD is also nearly 1kg heavier than the 02, and physically slightly larger.

How do they compare for reliability?

I have installed over a hundred Bafang mid-drive motors in the last 2-3 years. The BBS02B accounts for around 60 units and the BBSHD around 25 units.

I have had long-term reliability issues with both motors, but the BBS02  is more prone to controller failure (I have a box of knackered controllers in my workshop to prove it!)

It seems that there is a correlation between controller failure and battery voltage (plus the way the bike is ridden). I have never had a controller fail on a bike running a 48v battery, but have had in excess of 10 failures on the BBS02 and maybe 3 or 4 on the BBSHD.

That is a failure rate of 17% for the 750w and 12% for the HD, which in my opinion is unacceptably high.

I know that one of the BBSHD failures was down to a faulty battery BMS, and another was being used daily in very testing conditions.

48v vs 52v battery for the Bafang

hailong case 48v battery packBoth controllers have a maximum operating voltage of around 60v. This leaves little margin for error when using a 52v battery. 52v batteries fully charged will produce 58.8v, but I have tested some with a multi-meter and seen over 59v on occasion.

A 48v battery will produce 54.4v fresh off the charger – this leaves a reasonable buffer-zone.

I personally prefer a 52v battery. Having the higher start voltage is advantageous as it means the motor will be producing optimum power for longer versus the 48v battery.

I covered nearly 2000 miles on a 52v BBS02 powered bike for a year, without even a hint of a problem, but I only used the bike as pedal assist and very rarely went beyond power level 3.

I also have a lot of happy customers whose bikes are still running fine after a year, even though a 52v battery was used.

One thing I did start doing on the 750w was limiting the current setting in the firmware to 18 or 20 Amps. After I started doing this controller failure ceased to be a problem.

Having the more powerful battery on a BBSHD seems to be less of any issue. See my price comparison table for electric bike batteries.

Throttles – are they a possible cause of controller failure?

The problem I see with the Bafang throttle, is that it acts very much like an on/off switch. There doesn’t seem to be good power modulation. I have altered the firmware settings for the throttle with some success (specifically the start current). But the fact remains, I have no control over how customers use these throttles, and if you are going up a steep hill in full power mode, and you are in the wrong gear, you will be subjecting the motor to unnecessary load – causing rapid heat build-up.

The BBSHD is much less susceptible to the above problem, and can take a lot of abuse (but it still has its limits).

hard tail mountain bike fitted with a bafang bbshd and 52v14ah battery

So which one do I choose?

This really depends on your budget and intended use. If you want an off-road electric bike that you can hammer the hell out of, then I would definitely say go for the BBSHD. The extra £175 on the price may seem a little excessive, but the HD is just a more robust, more powerful and more efficient motor than its smaller sibling.

If you are going to be doing some mild cross country-type riding and are not going to be using the throttle or tackling any ridiculously steep climbs then the BBS02 may be more suited to your needs.

As far as battery choice is concerned, I would err on the side of caution and stick with a 48v, but if you do want the benefits of the 52v, then I would limit the max current setting in the firmware to 18-20 Amps, just to be on the safe side.

Conclusion

Both the Bafang BBS02 and BBSHD are excellent mid-drive motors and they will transform any bike you install them on. But before you part with your hard-earned cash, it is important to remember these motor’s aren’t perfect and like any electrical item, are prone to problems from time to time.

I always advise customers that you really need to be a bit of a DIY enthusiast to run and maintain a Bafang mid-drive. Ultimately, if you treat the motor with a little respect, be very careful with your gear selection (especially when climbing hills or hill starts), and don’t constantly ride in full power mode, then you should be fine.

If you are going to treat your conversion like an off-road electric motorcycle, then it would be worth steering clear of the BBS02 and going for the BBSHD, most suppliers will replace a controller at least once under warranty, but after that you are on your own. And at over £100 a time, it can become an expensive habit!

Below are some useful links to Bafang vendors on Aliexpress and various Amazon locales.

Buy the Bafang BBS02 750w

bafang bbs02 mid drive electric bike conversion kit
Buy on eBay
Buy on Aliexpress
Buy on Amazon

Buy the Bafang BBSHD 1000w

bafang bbshd 48v 1000w electric bike kit
Buy on Aliexpress
Buy on Amazon
Buy on eBay
Please follow and like us:

43 thoughts on “Bafang BBS02 vs BBSHD

• March 10, 2019 at 2:06 pm

Great article! Very useful info

• March 11, 2019 at 7:05 pm

Thanks for your positive comments, much appreciated.

• March 14, 2019 at 3:20 am

Very helpful for riders to choose which is best system combination,great!

• March 14, 2019 at 10:41 am

Thank you for your positive comment Jayson.
      All the best,

• March 14, 2019 at 7:00 pm

Hi Den,

Thanks for the positive feedback, glad you enjoyed the review.

• April 14, 2019 at 6:29 pm

Great info, thanks. My use is going to include mostly paved roads on a fairly heavy cargo bike loaded with groceries and a 40+ lb kid in a trailer. Occasional use will include some bike camping with a loaded bike and trailer using dirt roads with but not very steep say <10% gradients. Would you recommend the HD motor with 48v or 52v battery? Is it a reasonable strategy to limit the 52v in order to get a longer use time between charging?

thanks
    chris

• April 14, 2019 at 9:35 pm

Hi Chris,
      Yes, I would definitely recommend the BBSHD with a 52v battery for a cargo bike. To maximise battery range, I would limit the assisted speed to no more than 20 mph and only use the higher power levels when you really need to. I used to get 80-90 mile range out of a BBSHD powered mountain bike with a 52v 21ah triangle battery.

If you have any more questions, please let me know.

Thanks,

• May 19, 2019 at 11:37 am

Thanks Tony for taking the time to document and share your knowledge, that info sealed it for me. I am building my 4th off-road bike using HD, was tempted to use the 02 to save a bit of weight and give better BB clearance. Current bike is mostly drawing 200-600 Watts, except when I hit throttle for sand or gnarly hill climb (throttle is set to max Assist level). I put an 02 on a small mtb for my wife, and while it felt a bit lame I had thought I could live with it on my off-road machine. However, reading your article, I realise I would be using it too close to its design limit, for too long, it would end in tears!
    JB

• May 19, 2019 at 5:32 pm

Hi John,

Glad you found the information useful. Your feedback is much appreciated.

The BBSHD is definitely worth the extra money if your going to be putting any bike through its paces. In my experience the BBS02 is fine for mild xc riding, but anything more and that’s where the problems start. Out of all the mid-drives I’ve installed in the last three years the HD wins it hands down for the sheer abuse the motor will take – that’s why it has always been popular with customers in North Wales and the Scottish highlands!

All the best,

• June 3, 2019 at 10:23 am

Interesting article and useful too! Thinking of putting one on a recumbent bamboo trike i’m building for loads and long distances (round europe for starters –
    I thought we were only allowed 250w here in europe tho – is that gonna be a problem? or don’t they check

Many Thanks pSi

• June 3, 2019 at 5:05 pm

Hi,

Thank you for your positive comments.

If you are planning on doing lots of mileage in Europe, I would recommend staying the right side of the law by using a Bafang BBS01B 250w or Tongsheng TSDZ2 250w.

A lot of people in the UK and Europe choose to ride higher powered e-bikes. Generally the police won’t give an electric bike a second glance as long as the bike is being ridden responsibly and not too fast, but if an accident did occur there would be serious legal ramifications if you were riding a higher powered e-bike.

All the best,

• June 28, 2019 at 12:11 pm

i read your comment and i am thinking of buying a mid drive motor , about a 1000w to climb a 600m hill very steep 9km . i want to use it in p.a.s mood . so i will still get a work out what brand should i buy and model . thanks .

• June 28, 2019 at 5:35 pm

I personally think you would be better off with the BBSHD, simply because it is a more robust motor and runs cooler than the BBS02. I recently converted a customer’s bike using a BBSHD and I reprogrammed the controller to limit the maximum current from 30A to 20A and I changed the PAS settings to make pedal assist really smooth and progressive.

I also really like the Tongsheng TSDZ2, which is available in 52v 750w version. This motor uses a torque-sensing pedal assist similar to the Bosch motor, but I’m not overly confident with its ability to handle sustained load especially on a 600m climb over 9km.

Out of all of the motors I have installed I’m a big fan of the BBSHD, it’s smooth, quiet and can handle sustained long hill climbs with ease (and gets barely warm in the process).

If you need any more information, please let me know.

All the best,

• December 6, 2019 at 5:52 am

Hello Tony,
        can you send screenshot of PASS settings for BBSHD to make pedal assist really smooth and progressive?

Best regards

Vedran

• December 6, 2019 at 11:20 am

Hi Vedran,

If you visit this blog post by Karl Gesslein, and use the settings for ‘Karls special sauce’ – you will get very smooth and progressive pedal assist.

The screenshots are from a BBS02 750w, but I have tested these settings on several BBSHD’s and they work the same. What the settings do is lower the start current, and also smooth out the way the power ramps up when pedalling starts. It makes the motor a lot smoother to ride.

I hope this helps,if you need any more advice, let me know.

All the best,

• July 3, 2019 at 5:48 am

Hi Tony

Thanks for the great review!

You stated that the motor has a reduction ratio of 1:21.9. That is a massive reduction! Wouldn’t that mean a cadence of 100 rpm could cause the motor to spin at 2190 rpm?

Did you mean 1:2.19 ?

• July 3, 2019 at 2:40 pm

Hi Shen,

Thank you for your positive comment.

In answer to your question, you are correct about the 1:21.9 reduction ratio. This figure is listed by practically every single Bafang supplier.

Apparently the correct ratio is 21.9:1 with a 2 stage gear reduction using pinions and gears – it took a bit of searching but I found the correct figure on the EBR forum.

I hope this answers your question.

All the best,

• September 19, 2019 at 11:14 am

P.s.I forget inform you that in swiss I can drive an e bike up to 500w without any problem above it I need to register.
      But I did not see any control so maybe the heavy duty with 25 kmh max speed will work?
      Anyone knows if the BS 03 can be limited to 500w with the programing tools?
      Thanks for the help
      Filip

• September 19, 2019 at 11:33 am

There is a 36v 500w version of the BBS02 available – this has ‘500w’ stamped on the underside of the motor.

The BBSHD can be limited by reducing the maximum current in the pedal assist menu (using the Bafang configuration tool). You can also limit the power (and speed) in the pedal assist settings using the ‘limit current’ and ‘limit speed’ settings. You would need to reduce the maximum current (A) down from 30A to 11A.

The speed can also be limited on the display.

If you need any more advice, please let me know.

• September 4, 2019 at 5:53 am

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your great article. Very useful to understand the pro and the con of both engines. I am planning exactely the same configuration as your last picture: I am buying a brand new decathlon B-Twin ST540 and a and I’ll order a BBSHD from the site you recommand with a 52v 17.5 AH battery. I already noted your recommendation to limit the input current to 20A. Any advice, recommendation, warning building this e-bike? Was the Chain line a problem and did you buy a special Chain ring to align it? Thanks a lot for your help. Have a great day.

• September 4, 2019 at 9:14 am

Hi Philippe,

Glad you found my article helpful.

There are a couple of things I would recommend when fitting this motor to the ST540: The standard 46t chainring that comes with the BBSHD is, in my opinion too large. You can fit it but you may need a spacer as it can make contact with the chainstay. I usually fit a smaller 36t or 42t Alloy chainring from the French company PreciAlps who specialise in Bafang parts and make their own high quality CNC machined chainrings especially for the BBSHD.

It may also be worth purchasing a Bafang motor spacer (just in case), as due to the angle of the chainstay.

It isn’t absolutely necessary to limit the current to 20A on the BBSHD, as the motor is quite robust and can handle the 30A maximum current very well. You will get better battery range though, if you do choose to limit the current.

If you need any more advice, please let me know.

All the best,

• September 4, 2019 at 12:40 pm

Thanks a lot Tony.

I already ordered the BBSHD with a 42t (was proposed on the Ali-Express web site).
    I also ordered the bsbf-1 Stabilizer bar to avoid motor rotation because of the torque.
    I have one more question if I may : I read a lot on the battery charge and Luna-Cycle are really recommending the charger that can limit the battery charge to 80 or 90% which is going to contribute heavily to the Battery Life duration (almost doubles it according to this guy : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alHocJk7DHg).
    Taking the price of a new battery in consideration, this may be worse a buy.

Thanks again.
    Warm regards,
    Philippe

• September 4, 2019 at 1:45 pm

Hi Philippe,

The stabilizer bar is always a good idea, I fit them quite a lot nowadays, as it’s far easier than having to tighten up the lockring every couple of hundred kilometres.

Regarding charging your battery to 80-90% – this can be beneficial if done on occasion, particularly if you are not using the bike for a few days or more. It is never a good idea to fully charge a battery and then not ride the bike for a while. On the other hand, if you only charged the battery to say 80% for most of the time, you may cause the cells to become unbalanced and this would have a detrimental effect on the performance and longevity.

I have an acquaintance who is an expert on lithium battery technology and the increase in longevity that is possible from partially charging from time to time is minimal over a five year period (this guy has made lithium batteries for Cambridge University EV projects). So i’m a little sceptical of the claim it can double the life of the battery.

The other thing to consider is the way lithium battery technology is progressing, in another 5 years we should see big reductions in the size and weight of ebike batteries, due to increased cell energy density.

Having said all of the above, the Luna charger is a very good quality and reliable charger, you can monitor battery voltage and alter the charge current. Which is useful.

All the best,

• September 5, 2019 at 8:53 am

Thanks a lot Tony. Everything has been ordered yesterday. Next step is gonna the “Montage”.
    Many thanks for sharing your experience with this community.

Regards,
    Philippe

• September 5, 2019 at 11:06 am

Thank you Philippe, Glad to have been of assistance.

Regards,

• September 19, 2019 at 11:09 am

Hi,
    Question should the motor fit on a octalink 68mm?
    Since I live in Swiss Jura and I need the bike to pull my children chariot to school I probably need a 36 T ?
    I have actually a rear motor bafang 250w on my e MTB and the power out of it is not enough to pull I have I think just 45 nm torque do you think it will work with the Bas02 motor?
    Any suggestions (since I am driving on Street I can’t take the BBSHD)
    Thanks in advance

• September 19, 2019 at 11:25 am

Hi Filip,

If your bike has an Octalink bottom bracket, then the Bafang BBS02 will fit no problem. I have fitted quite a few BBS02 motors to bikes with this kind of Bottom Bracket.

Regards,

• September 23, 2019 at 10:43 am

Thanks a lot Tony for my last answer,
        One more question, I may have a solution to make the Bafang bbshd legal in Swiss for street (with internal programing) it is a grey zone area here but the country is quiet liberal…
        Anyway my question is which motor wilI fit best I have a cruiser for 2 kids chariot with 2 kids in it 45 kg all in. I have in jura up to 20% street and even more in my own street .And I sometimes need to climb 500m in the forest with the kids(I am leaving at 900m and the town is at 450 m above see)
        Could the bb02 750w manage it or I need to have the big one bbshd?and do you think that I could put the battery on a special luggage compartment? I have a hardtrail small triangle frame and I think just the Halong 2 battery will fit…and they have just 10,8 Ah I think because other battery will be hard to remove upward.
        Maybe you have any suggestions?
        By the way your internet forum and topics is great,faboulus even.
        I forwarded it to a lot of friends.
        Thanks for your answer
        Yours
        Filip

• September 23, 2019 at 11:49 am

Hi Filip,

Thank you for your positive comments, they are much appreciated.

In answer to your question, I would personally say the BBSHD would be much better suited to your needs. I have installed lots of BBS02’s and BBSHD’s over the last 3 years and the BBSHD is just a more robust motor, plus it produces greater torque and the controller is more reliable under load than the BBS02 controller.

Where I live in Cornwall, I have several 15% – 25% climbs within 2km of my house, and when I have used the BBSHD, it barely gets warm, whereas the BBS02 can get quite hot after a sustained steep climb.

Regarding the battery. The Hailong 2 case (the larger version with the USB) is available up to 52v17.5ah. But there are other style cases available which remove sideways. This might be more suitable for your particular frame.

All the best,

• October 10, 2019 at 8:18 pm

l’m oriented to the purchase of a Bafang Mid DriveBBS02B 36 Volt-500 Watt motor, but before proceeding I would like to have, if possible, a technical clarification and more precisely:
    1) The above engine, from the manufacturer’s website Bafang, is equipped with a 36Volt-25Ampere controller.
    I ask you to know if the aforementioned motor is electromechanically constructive (except the Controller) to the Model 88S02B 48 Volt-750 Watt.
    My question is motivateci by the situation of already owning a 36 Volt battery; more clearly I would like to buy the 36 Volt-500 Watt motor and in the future have the possibility to replace the 36 Volt- 25 Ampere Controller with the 48 Volt-25 Ampere Controller to be able to use the full power as that of the 48 Volt-750 Watt Motor.
    lt is obvious that in this situation I would also replace the 36 Volt battery with a 48 o 52 Volt battery.
    Thanks and cordiality

• October 11, 2019 at 9:04 am

Hi Vittorio,

Yes, you can upgrade from a 36v to 48v controller on the BBS02B as long as the replacement 48v controller is for the ‘B’ model specifically.

As far as I am aware, the motor internals are the same as the BBS02B 750w.

All the best,

• October 11, 2019 at 2:37 pm

Good Morning
        I am very grateful for the prompt reply that gives me the opportunity to make my purchase idea really flexible.
        I am happy for the possibility of being able, in the future, to modify and increase the power of the Engine.
        For your information, some shops (Greenergy Electric Bike Store, pswpower Store, Greenergy Electric Bike Store) have responded negatively to the same request.
        Maybe they have unclear interests.
        I found your site organized in an excellent and very clear and comprehensive way in dealing with the topics.
        Again
        Thanks and cordiality

• October 11, 2019 at 6:37 pm

Hi Vittorio,

Thank you for your positive comments, much appreciated. If you need any more help or advice, please let me know.

Kind regards,

• October 14, 2019 at 9:09 am

Hey Tony, I have a couple points I was hoping to receive clarification on.

Due to budgetary reasons, a new BBSHD kit shipped to Canada would be a bit much to handle. However, I have the opportunity to purchase a used BBS02B 750w with 42t Lekkie chaining and two 48v 13.6ah batteries for an affordable cost. I think this may be appropriate for me since I’ve previously ridden a friend’s Shimano Steps E6000 250w powered ebike with only 60 n.m. of torque for extended periods of single track including fairly steep climbs and found the power delivery to be satisfactory. I’m a mid 20s male in good shape sub 200lbs and am really only looking for mild assist 90% of the time. I doubt I will require anywhere near the peak 1200-1360w reportedly melting the BBS02 controllers and nylon gear for long periods of time, and my main concern is reliability over power with this unit. With my use case out of the way, my questions are this:
    1. What wattage in your experience can the BBS02 manage for extended periods (assuming good peddling cadence)? I understand that 25a 48v full PAS isn’t doable, but have you experienced heat soak on PAS level 3-6/9? What about on 18a 48v limited units at full PAS? Not super clear where the line is, I’ve never heard of a 36v 500w BBS02 having heat or reliability issues for example.
    2. Is the BBS02B 3077 controller and nylon primary reduction gear reliable with 25a and a 48v battery when heat is kept to a minimum? I will be installing a temp probe and am not going to be using peak PAS or throttle for long. However, for short steep climbs and general foolery such as wheelies (in granny gear and high cadence ofc) is there still a significant risk of blowing a controller?

Thanks a ton, appreciate the time to read and reply.
    John

• October 14, 2019 at 12:29 pm

Hi John,

I used a BBS02B 750w for a year, and covered about 2000 miles in that time, without any issues. I was running a 52v20ah LG cell battery pack.

I reprogrammed the controller using Karl’s special Sauce but reduced the maximum current to 18A. I used it mainly in PAS 1-3, very rarely needed to use anything above that as I was using to bike to improve my fitness.

I would say 250w-500w is the sweet spot for continuous power, mine never got hot, even after a long steep climb. You should be fine using the throttle, but always set the start current to around 10%, it is set at 20% out of the factory, which I think is too high. All the failures that I’ve encountered were using 52v batteries and were putting out the full 25A, so by reprogramming you should greatly reduce the chance of blowing the controller.

If you need any more info, let me know.

Cheers,

• November 13, 2019 at 8:46 pm

Hi guys.
    I am a motorbike and bike mechanic guy. But at moment i work with rickshaw as city guide. I ride with my bafang bbshd 1000w everyday to work back and fort 30km. And as city guide on my rickshaw now i have the bafang bbs02 750w motor . I can say that booth bafang motors are nice bbshd is robust and powerfull ok if you use allways max level your 52v 18AH battery can reach 25 km distance… Soo not a problem. But what i want to say is i used the one year tongsheng 750w on my rickshaw that one i dont recomend any one. I change the blue gear 3 times allso the metwl gear even sucks more becouse of bad mayerial. At last the motor was totaly defekt after 6 months use. It mades me allways problems. Dont buy tongsheng its worse. Bafang is good.

• November 15, 2019 at 12:41 pm

Hi Tony my wife & I both have Specialized hybrid bikes (5yrs old)
    and i would be interested in costs to convert BBS02 750W – can you give me a budget cost for you doing the work. Also what part of the country are you in for me to deliver. The articles are very informative

• November 15, 2019 at 2:49 pm

Hi Nigel,

I have sent you an email with my phone number. Thank you for your positive feedback on my articles.

Regards,

• March 1, 2020 at 11:27 pm

Hi Tony,

I have a Trek DS 8.6 and would like to convert it to an eBike. I read there is a Japanese motor (Duru?) that is supposedly of equal quality to Bosch/Yamaha. Do you know anything about these? If not, would you suggest a Bafang for this job. Also, where are you located?

• March 2, 2020 at 12:37 pm

Hi Ken,

I have Googled Duru ebike motor and didn’t come up with anything. There is an interesting new kit available soon from Italian company Bikee Bike. It is a mid-drive kit (road legal) that only weighs 1.5kg for the motor and a total of 4kg including a 250 watt hour battery. It costs 499 Euros and looks like s great little kit, they have designed it so there is no drag when the motor is not in use. Here is a link to their website.

I am based in Cornwall, UK not far from Plymouth.

Regards,

• March 10, 2020 at 5:40 am

Hi Tony!

I’ve read through a lot of these comments already, and I think I know what you’ll say, but would love your personalized advice just the same! I have a Trek 520, I weigh 180lbs and I will be towing a trailer with an additional 30-40lbs. I don’t care about speed so much. My average ride will be under 15 miles round trip, mostly flat with a few moderate hills. Seems like I should get the BBSHD, but can you recommend a battery that will suit my needs?

• March 10, 2020 at 9:17 am

Hi Jared,

The BBSHD would definitely be the better option for towing. If you’re only doing 15 mile trips maximum, you should get away with a fairly moderate capacity battery. Something like a 48v 13Ah or 52v 10Ah battery should do the job (as long as it has a 30A BMS). My regular supplier UPP ships batteries from within the US through Amazon and eBay. I’ve purchased over 100 batteries from these guys and have only had a couple of issues, which were sorted without hassle. Here is a link to their 52v10Ah battery on Amazon.

Cheers,