- My first impression of this bike was how neat and tidy it looked, many people wouldn’t even realise you were riding an e-bike.The bike felt stable and sure-footed, probably helped by the motor and battery being fairly low and central.
- The great thing with any hybrid bike is versatility. You may never intend to ride further off-road than a canal path, but it is always reassuring to know that your bike can go anywhere if need be. The Suntour NEX-E25 forks have 63mm of travel, but I was disappointed not to see a lock-out feature at this price point. The front end did bob up and down a little when pedalling hard. Having said that, the forks performed well enough.
- Shifting gears using the Shimano SL-M2000 rapid fire shifters was crisp and precise. The 38 tooth chainring combined with the Shimano 11-34 9-speed Cassette and Alivio RD-M4000 rear derailleur worked well, although I think an 11-36 9 speed cassette would have been a better choice for slightly better gear range.
- The Shimano MT200 hydraulic disc brakes are fairly entry-level brakes, but they did perform reasonably well considering the combined rider and bike weight was around 125kg. There is a 180mm rotor up front and a 160mm at the rear. The modulation was good and I didn’t experience brake fade on the descents (thankfully!).
- The frame is made from double butted aluminium superlite tubes with a tapered head tube, for extra strength without extra weight. Schwalbe’s Smart Sam tyres are an excellent dual-purpose tyre with a medium level of puncture protection, and they have the grip to cope with pretty much any surface.
- The Bosch Active Plus electric motor is great, The way this bike produces its electric assist is very subtle and intuitive. Make no mistake, you still have to put some effort into pedalling, but your legs will feel like they have been enhanced! There are four different levels of power available from the combined torque and pedal sensing system. This is complemented by a 500wh (watt hours) integrated Lithium battery pack. The LCD display is fairly basic, but it is very clear and easy to read.
I didn’t ride the bike far enough to deplete the battery, but I have it on good authority that this bike will do up to 80km on a full charge, in Eco mode. Obviously this would be substantially reduced if you were canning it in turbo mode.
It is just so versatile, the motor is incredibly quiet and smooth.
New for 2020 the Cube Touring Hybrid One 400
Replacing the popular Cube Cross Hybrid One 400 for 2020 is the Cube Touring Hybrid One 400 – the same excellent price, but with the addition of some useful extra’s:
- Front and rear lights
- Pannier rack
Apart from the above additions, one of my main concerns from the 2019 has been addressed. The 2020 model has an 11-36 9-speed rear cassette. Basically the latest model offers quite a bit more for the same price.
Having ridden ebikes of all shapes and sizes over the last couple of years, this Cube really strikes a chord. It is just so versatile, the motor is incredibly quiet and smooth, and the way it gives you electric assist is so subtle, it really enhances the cycling experience. It can be used as a weekend plaything or a robust daily workhorse. There are provisions to fit mudguards, rack and kickstand, which is ideal if you’re planning on using the bike for the commuting.
The only thing I would change, would be the rear cassette, but I live in a very hilly area, so the cassette fitted should be fine for most people.
All in all I’m giving this bike the thumbs up. It really is a quality ebike for the money. The finish is typically Cube quality, and the neat way the motor and battery have been integrated is very pleasing to the eye.
|Frame||Aluminium Superlite, Comfort, Full Integrated Battery, Double Butted|
|Fork||SR Suntour NEX-E25, 63mm|
|Rear Derailleur||Shimano RD-M4000-SGS, 9-Speed|
|Number of Gears||9|
|Shifters||Shimano SL-M2000, Rapidfire-Plus|
|Chain set||FSA Metropolis Comfort, 38T, 165mm|
|Cassette||Shimano CS-HG200, 11-34T|
|Handlebars||CUBE Rise Trail Bar, 680mm|
|Stem||CUBE Performance Stem Pro, 31.8mm|
|Headset||FSA Orbit 1.5B ZS-1-R, Top Zero-Stack 1 1/8″ (OD 44mm), Bottom Zero-Stack 1 1/2″ (OD 56mm)|
|Grips||CUBE Performance Grip|
|Rims||CUBE ZX20, 36H, Disc|
|Front Hub||Shimano HB-TX505, QR, Centerlock|
|Rear Hub||Shimano FH-TX505, QR, Centerlock|
|Front Tyre||Schwalbe Smart Sam, Active, 44×622|
|Rear Tyre||Schwalbe Smart Sam, Active, 44×622|
|Saddle||CUBE Active 1.1|
|Seatpost||CUBE Performance Post, 27.2mm|
|Motor||Bosch Drive Unit Active Plus (50Nm) Cruise (250Watt)|
|Battery||Bosch PowerPack 400|
|Maximum Road Speed||Assistance up to 25 km/h or 15mph|